Florida Standards Assessments Portal now available to students and parents.
This portal provides access to general information about the Florida Standards Assessments (FSA) and links to other FSA websites and resources.
Dear DeSoto Students and Families,
The Florida Standards Assessments online portal is now live. You may access the portal at http://www.FSAssessments.org. In the portal, you will find links to the training tests and resources that will familiarize you with the types of questions and answers that your students will be experiencing in the new Florida Standards Assessment Program.
The training tests are intended to provide students, parents, educators, and the public in general with an opportunity to become familiar with the item types and functionality of the new computer-based test (CBT) delivery system produced by the American Institutes for Research (AIR). The following information is critical for you to understand and communicate to others in your district before exploring the new system.
Please note, the training tests were developed to expose students to the possible item types they will encounter on the operational tests; the ratio/percentage of items of each item type in the training tests is not representative of the ratio/percentage of items of each that will appear type on operational tests.
Grades 3 and 4 items illustrate the types of items that will be available once each assessment moves to online delivery.
Please remember that the purpose of these training tests is to become familiar with the system, functionality, and item types; the tests are not intended to guide classroom instruction.
- Color Contrast/Print Size: The new system allows users to select different background colors/color combinations for test display, as well as print size. These selections are made prior to beginning a test and cannot be changed once the user is logged in to the test. These features are available for all students on FSA tests.
- Zoom Tool: Once logged in to a test, a user may use “zoom” tools to zoom in and out on a screen. The zoom buttons are located in the upper left corner of the screen. This feature is not a special accommodation for FSA tests.
- Audio: English Language Arts/Listening tests contain items with audio. For operational tests, headphones will be required for each student. At the beginning of the tests, users will see a “Sound Check” pop-up asking them to click on an icon and listen for a sound, and then to click “Yes” to indicate that audio is functioning properly.
- Item Types: The new tests contain several new interactive item types, including drag and drop, editing tasks, and adding points and lines to a grid. When logged in to a test, each item contains an icon above it that opens a tutorial for that item type. In addition, descriptions and response instructions for each item type are included in the Training Test User Guide that may be accessed on the Resources pages in the portal. Users should refer to the tutorials or the guide to familiarize themselves with the different features and response instructions for each item type.
About the Tests
- Accommodations: CBT accommodations, such as text-to-speech, are not available on these training tests. Once the tests are launched in the secure browser this fall, CBT accommodations will be available.
- Content: The training tests combine sample items for different grade levels and subject areas. The following tests are available:
- Grades 4-5 FSA ELA Writing Component
- Grades 6-8 FSA ELA Writing Component
- Grades 9-11 FSA ELA Writing Component
- Grades 3-5 FSA ELA, Reading, Language, and Listening
- Grades 6-8 FSA ELA, Reading, Language, and Listening
- Grades 9-11 FSA ELA, Reading, Language, and Listening
- Grades 3-4 FSA Mathematics
- Grades 5-6 FSA Mathematics
- Grades 7-8 FSA Mathematics
- FSA EOC Mathematics
Answer keys that list the item, correct answer, and grade level/subject of each item are located in the Students and Parents section of the portal.
- Secure Browser: As noted above, the training tests do not require that AIR’s secure browser be installed to access them.
Other Notes About the Portal
- Additional Resources: In addition to the resources noted in the Commissioner’s memo, you will find these previously released resources posted in the portal:
- 2016-2017 Statewide Assessment Schedule and memorandum
- CBT Transition Chart
- FAQ regarding the Commissioner’s Decision for New Florida Standards Assessments
- System Requirements for Online Testing
The portal will serve as the main location for all FSA resources and communications, as well as the place where you and school staff will access test management and reporting sites. We encourage you to share the website information with school staff and parents in your district so they may become familiar with it.